NecronomiCon Providence 2019. Part IV Purchases

Of course, I could not attend NecronomiCon PVD 2019 without passing through the dealers hall. I did show much restraint, as there were a great many wonderful things on offer, but I did have a bit of a shopping list in mind, especially when it came to the Chaosium stall.

It may have been a few weeks ago now but better late than never!

From the Chaosium stall, I picked up the 2nd edition of Terror Australis. I will be running Masks soon(ish) so this was a must.
Berlin: The Wicked City was there in all its Hardcover glory, before general release. This book looks so pretty, I couldn't not. I don't know when I plan to run games in based in Berlin, but having flicked through it, it certainly could be used as a template for a modern city sourcebook. So, Montreal: The City of Sin anyone? The scenario especially written for the Con was also a must. I didn't manage to get a seat at the table for any of the slots where Jon Hook was running The Shadow Over Providence, but I as a souvenir, as well as a neat little one shot, this was a must. Finally, I picked up the Call of Cthulhu Keeper Decks. These should be useful for many things. I have the pdf already, but pdfs of cards have always struck me as next to useless.

Also in terms of gaming supplies, I went past the second hand stall run by The Outer Dark, I picked up a couple of older books. These guys had a whole bunch of older and some OOP books, and if I had allowed myself, i would have bought a lot of them. In the end I stopped at two. The first was the Miskatonic University sourcebook. This one is not out of print, but still one that should see a lot of use when I run more games in Arkham, especially since I am thinking on doing some more sandbox type games soon. The second I bought there was a copy of the OOP A Green and Pleasant Land. This book was in very good condition, and was being sold for a very reasonable price. I could not say no.

Finally, at the Extra Life game on Friday, I picked up Hypergraphia Volume 2, thereby completing my collection of printed versions of this 'zine. I have also set myself the goal of submitting an article for the issue for the NecronomiCon 2021 edition. There, I've said it out loud.

In terms of non-gaming purchases, I have had my eye on some of the woodcut art by Liv Rainey-Smith of Xylographilia, since the last Ars Necronomica. This year I picked up a print of Signum Advent, which was in the show at the last convention. I like this, as there are mythos and occult references in the print, but they are not overt, and it really has a feel of a print that could have been in an historical work. The other thing I purchased was an elder sign amulet. I can't remember the name of the dealer, but he was aware of the Burnistoun lovecraft sketch, which was kind of niche, even for a Lovecraftian Con. This is a simple amulet, and would make a great simple prop for any game where an elder sign makes an appearance.

Lastly, I bought a copy of The Gentleman From Angell Street by local authors, and friends of Lovecraft, Muriel E. Eddy and C.M. Eddy Jr. I have read this already, and there will be a review posted shortly.

The final item in my haul, was not a purchase, but a gift. Oscar Rios gave all the players at his Sunday table a set of Roman coins, minted for a Kickstarter (I assume the Invictus one), of which he had a few extra. A very kind gesture.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Warren

"They Grow up so Fast" Handout