The Gentleman From Angell Street

As mentioned previously, when I was at NecronomiCon this year, I picked up a book by local Providence writers C. M. Eddy Jr, and his wife Muriel. I had not read any of their wprks, in fact, I still have not read any of their fiction.

The H. P. Lovecraft Literary podcast did an Eddy story, "The Ghost Eater" as their live show at NecronomiCon Providence 2019, and Ken doesn't hold back with his feelings on the story, and as Eddy as a writer.

In fact, is was this performance (which I had to leave before the end, due to gaming commitments) that made me pick up this book in the dealers hall at the Con. I had seen Fenham Publishing on my last visit, and paid them no heed, but now I knew more, I went to the stall and picked up "The Gentleman From Angell Street". Fenham Publishing, is in fact run by a grandson of the Eddys, and publishes all of their works. On purchasing the book, he also included a couple of photocopies of various newspaper articles either by the Eddys, or about them.

This is a very short book, coming in at only 70 pages, and within these pages, there are collected together memoirs written by Muriel E. Eddy, and her husband C.M. Eddy Jr. Since this is a collection of memoirs that were written at various times, and for publication in other places, there is some repetition within them.
I found this version of Lovecraft, as seen by people who spent a lot of time with him personally, as very different to the impression I have of him from other sources (full disclosure, I have not read any other Lovecraft biographies). The first of the chapters, "The Gentleman From Angell Street" is to me the best in the book, and the most engaging. It is also the longest.
There are some of Lovecraft's letters that also pertain to the anecdotes within this book, and it would be super interesting to see them published together in one volume. But that would possibly be well outwith the remit of Fenham Publishing , who put together this book, and the other collected works of both Eddys. It would also be very interesting to learn if the correspondence between Lovecraft and C.M Eddy, which was their only means of communication before the death of Lovecraft's mother, still exists.

In short, this is a short book, but gives a direct insight into the personality of the man, as a friend, and is rather charming, and refreshing to read. Not for someone with just a passing interest in his work, but for those who want to know a little more on the man himself. I'm glad I picked it up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Warren

"They Grow up so Fast" Handout