NecronomiCon 2024. Part IV: Purchases

I did go to this years NecronomiCon with an increased budget from years passed (I had had 5 years to save after all). I planned to make the most of getting stuff, and being able to drive back across the border and not have to pay the exorbitant shipping prices that prices many of these products out for me. When you pay as much or more for shipping as you do for the book in the first place, well, you just don't.

With that in mind, I may have gone a spend crazy. Just a little. I regret nothing that I bought, and a couple of things that I didn't.

Gaming Stuff

The first stop was a trip to the Chaosium stand, where I picked up the brand new, and not yet publicly available Gaslight Investigator's Guide. This is a beautiful hardback book, as are all of the main Chaosium books. I will say no more on it, as once I cam hoe, it went away as a birthday gift.

Next stop was the other Call of Cthulhu Licensees stall, where books were being sold by Stygian Fox, Golden Goblin Press, Bayt Al Azif, Sixtystone Press, and others. From there I picked up a smattering of books. Cthulhu Invictus main rules, see the Gaming post for more details as to the why. The Black Seal issue 4 (I have at least issue 1, from the 90s, not sure about 2 or 3, and I had not seen issue 4 for sale up here yet), and Bayt Al Azif issue 4, thereby bringing my collection of that magazine up to date.

The final gaming stand in the dealers hall worthy of a mention was the Atomic Overmind/Arc Dream/Pelgrane stand, where I purchased of the Yellow King RPG by Pelgrane, a hefty set of books, complete with slipcase that turns into a GM screen. This fine set of tomes has been put away as a Christmas Present, so there will be no more mention of it this year on this blog. In a separate visit, I also picked up the Yellow King Tarot, signed by both collaborators on the work. This will do well for both the Yellow King RPG, and also, the campaign it was made for, Impossible Landscapes. I very nearly bought the King in Yellow, annotated edition, as when I first saw it 5 years ago, it was in hardback, but it has now been released in paperback. This may be my one purchasing regret of the con.

The last gaming purchase of the con was The Stars are Right, from the increasingly misnamed Cthulhu Now range. I picked this up used for a good price at the Lovecraft Arts & Sciences Bookshop. I think running these adventures would be really interesting from a historical perspective, both in and out of game. 

Not a purchase per se, but I won a copy of Alone Against the Frost, a solo adventure for call of Cthulhu, in the raffle at the end of the Gatsby and the Great Race game. I look forward to trying it out. As a later book from the series, it seems more complicated than the Alone Against the Flame scenario that comes with the Starter kit.

Other Stuff

I went to a couple of the second hand book stalls. I had two main objectives. To find some C L Moore, and to find some Manly Wade Wellman. On the former, I failed. There was none to be had. On the latter, I succeeded too well. there was one stall that had a number of the Silver John books in hardback, but they were all signed, and therefore out of my budget. I did pick up this one though, which is not a Silver John tale, but I look forward to it nonetheless.

Another book stop was at the Helios House Press stand, where I mentioned that I had backed their kickstarter, and bemoaned shipping issues with them. they were of a similar position to me. I picked up the 2 issues of the Rainbow that they had re-issued. as well as a bookplate and some stickers.

Last but by no means least, there are the books and postcards I picked up from the Lovecraft Arts & Sciences Bookstore. Here I went with: Sex and the Cthulhu Mythos by Bobbie Derie. I must admit the main reason was the title and of course the Gahan Wilson cover; Creatures of Charm and Hunger by Molly Tanzer, as I loved the first two books in this series; and finally the Penguin Classics publication of The Dark Eidolon and Other Fantasies by Clark Ashton Smith. I also went with these postcards. I particularly love the Elder Things in the style of an old biology print.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Necronomicon Dissection: Part 6, Purchases

The Warren