RPG a Day 2024: Day 14

 RPG a Day 2024, day 14: Compelling characters?


I'm going to take this prompt to mean what RPGs give compelling characters, as I don't think I really want to talk about 'my Bard for D&D'.

I think that any game can do this, as for me this is something that is emergent from play. Many games try to do this on the page, and it can work, or it can fall flat on it's face, both for the same game, depending on what fits the players at the table.

For a game that gives great characterisation out of the box, I'd turn to some of the better Powered by the Apocalypse style games, where you're sheet has everything you need and the moves are built to structure a certain type of play that is character based, and can be different for everyone at the table. I feel this is the strength of PbtA games when done right. From what I read and hear, Monster of the Week does this right, and from personal experience, I know Escape from Dino Island get's it too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Necronomicon Dissection: Part 6, Purchases

The Warren