NecronomiCon 2024. Part III: Other Events

The convention is not only about games and panels, it is about so much more. Indeed any visitor to the con can only see a fraction of what is available. What else did I do? Well, here's a selection.

Ars Necronomica

I actually stumbled into the Ars Necronomica event by accident. I had indeed planned to look it out, as my previous visit had left me rather impressed. As it was, this year it was not in the same place, but in a vacant storefront in the same arcade as the Lovecraft Arts & Sciences bookstore. The arcade itself was sadly much less populated than on previous visits, with most storefronts lying empty, so I guess it was an easy space for them to have access to.

I was less than impressed with the space, and indeed with the number of works on show. While the website linked above admits the scope of the show to be 'curtailed' from previous years, it was still rather disappointing, and I was in and out in about 10 minutes. I think I was more impressed with the art on show in the dealers hall (though many artists were present at both).

On a more positive note, the other events I made it to were more fun. 

A Warning to the Curious

A one man performance by Robert Lloyd Parry. He has been at previous NecronomiCons, and I had also heard of his work through a Podcast to the Curious, but I had not had the pleasure to see one of his performances. It was captivating, and anyone who gets the chance should absolutely jump at it.

There was another show at the end of the Con, but it would have meant a very late return on Sunday (Monday morning more likely) if we had stayed for that.



HPLHS'S Dark Adventure Radio Theatre 'The Shunned House'

Running from the last event to this one meant that of course there were no seats left, and I couldn't see the stage, but since it was an audio experience, that mattered little.

There was audience participation to make some of the background effects. Unfortunately it was coming in at the end of a long day and my concentration was lagging. I'd love to see it again and be in a better mental place to enjoy it.

Lovecraftian/Weird Bar Trivia!

Did I say they were all more fun? Well, let me qualify that a little. This event was fun in that it was in a pub, and I was with friends. The quiz was not fun. I mean, we didn't really think we would do well (though you always always have that secret hope you'll do better than you think), but this quizmaster had his era and wheelhouse, and he stuck to it. If you shared it with him so much the better for you. We didn't score null points, but we might as well have for the way we felt afterwards.

But there was beer, so it was fun.

Waterfire

Waterfire is an event run out with the convention, although it seems there was crossover for this version of the event with NecronomiCon. We went down to the river that runs through the city, where there were braziers lit at various points, and entertainment along the waterfront, including stalls of local wares, and food trucks. A great addition to the Con, and a beautiful way to see Providence (in fact I think my longest treK outside of the hotel area this trip).


Cthulhu was also there, in a gondola, lighting the fires.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Necronomicon Dissection: Part 6, Purchases

The Warren